Monday, March 21, 2005

Article: Be the Best You Can

Be the Best You Can
Siena Verganio Ignacio



When I first arrived in China, November 10th last year, I had one very simple mission—to teach English. That’s all.

It never occurred to me that I would not only be completing my mission, but I would be recreating myself to be the best person I can be for others. Those others are my precious students. I thought at first, it would be an easy task to teach English. I was confident because I am a Development Communication graduate and my university life revolved around a life where English was very common. This confidence gave me the strength and the courage to prove I could teach, even though I belonged to a country where English is not an official language. But as for teaching English in China being a piece of cake, sad to say, I was proven wrong.

My first week was a mixture of two important realizations. I got highly stressed out when I found that my students are highly intellectual and very knowledgeable. I was totally unprepared for this. The second one was a sort of apprehension because my students were expecting so much from me as their foreign teacher. What if I failed them? What if I was not able to do the job? The pressure I felt became a challenge and I knew I had to face courageously.
As days went by, I realized that life of a teacher here in China should not be limited to teaching English alone.

As an effective teacher, you should be able to motivate your students to develop the passion for the language so that they will take pleasure learning in the process. This passion will serve as their driving force and a fuel that will open their eyes and mind to a more enjoyable and satisfying English learning experience.

Moreover, by being motivated, they will be able to enhance their creativity and to mould themselves to become productive and dynamic individuals when they finally say goodbye to their Alma Mater.

I remember this famous quotation from William Arthur Ward. He said: “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”

This is absolutely true.

Great teachers must be able to offer inspiration to all their students. The question is: How can a teacher inspire students? Let me impart some of what I’ve gained, based on my own teaching and learning experience.

First, cultivate in yourself a special kind of love and devotion for your students. If you are able to equip yourself with this feeling, then you will soon realize that teaching them is truly very rewarding and enriching on your part.

Second, try to create a friendly atmosphere in the classroom, where everyone has a chance to freely express him or herself without having second thoughts. They will take every opportunity to respond to your questions without inhibitions at all.

When I was teaching in the Philippines, I used to be a perfectionist, but here, I have learned to let go of that personality. You have to make room for imperfection, allow a certain margin for error. You won’t survive in the education world if you are too stringent. And besides, if the teacher displays that kind of attitude toward the students, they will create a gap and will eventually isolate themselves from you.

Instead, try to be a loving teacher who is always willing to listen and to understand their shortcomings. They will be very happy to discover a friend in you.
Third, from time to time, introduce topics that will regenerate their enthusiasm to be appreciative people. They will emulate you, if you as their teacher know how to appreciate them. How will you do this?

I believe that sincere recognition for a great answer shared is a powerful tool in building harmonious relationship with your students. To be effective, praise from you must be precise, honest and well timed.

I want to share with you my three S’s when I usually express my acknowledgment. Smile; show a thumb’s up and say, “very good!” A kind of unexplained joy will be displayed on the young face in front of you, after having been given recognition.

If you try to put into practice this distinctive approach of linking enthusiastic praise to your students’ skill and effort, you will see a magical transformation. I always believe that heartfelt recognition transforms good to better.

I now have two very vital missions to accomplish. To be an efficient English teacher and to continually invent and reinvent myself until I become the best person I can be for others.

Published last May 13th, 2004. www.bjreview.com.cn Archive No.19

discuss this thread

1 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, March 21, 2005, Blogger ASKSonnie said...

Thank's Siena for sharing... I sensed satisfaction in the things you are doing. I'm happy for you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.